Join in the Fun

Grab My Button

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
God has blessed me tremendously with an amazing husband, Doug, and two gorgeous little boys, Gavin and Joey. It has always been a dream of mine to have a large family but God may have other plans. I had a series of 6 consecutive early miscarriages when trying for baby #2. We are currently trying for baby #3 after our 7th miscarriage. I am faithful that God's plan is perfect, even when I am not happy about it. I love comments and meeting new followers so please don't be shy!

Like This Blog?

We Salute You!

Photobucket

Stirrup Queen's List of Blogs .

Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, May 26, 2012

Easy & Fun Pallet Garden


I love having flowers around my house in the spring and summer months.  One thing that I hate is taking up so much of our growing area with things that aren't edible.  So, here was my solution!  A pallet garden!  Since it stands vertically, it won't waste more than a few inches of ground space and it adds tons of colors and dimension in an otherwise bland space.  I also love the rustic and re-purposed look!  


Step 1: Find your pallet that you want to use.  If it is important to you, you can try to find ones that haven't been chemically treated.  I just used what I had on hand.  Be sure to remove any stray nails or sharp edges.  You will need two large bags of potting mix and some landscape cloth.  Also (not pictures) you will need a staple gun or other way to secure the cloth to the pallet like hammer and tacks. 


Step 2: Decide which side will be front and cover the back of your garden.  Mine isn't as pretty as it could have been but I figured... what the heck.  Who is going to see it anyway?  Using my staple gun, I fastened the cloth to the back taking sure to attach it on both horizontally and vertically. 

Step 3: Turn your pallet over. Working in batches, mix the soil with water so that it was nice and damp- not completely soaked or muddy! I used my hands but you could probably use a hand trowel if you don't want to have dirty fingernails.  Then pack it down into the pallet.  This is important so that your dirt doesn't settle too much when you turn it upright later. 


Step 4:  Start with planting in what will be the top first. 
Step 5:  Then plant the other rows.   Be sure that there is plenty of soil packed around each plant.  While tempting to stand your garden up and admire it in all of its beauty, your pallet must remain laying down for a week.  This will give your plants adequate time to take root and hold everything together.   






And Done!  After you have waited patiently for a week, you can set your pallet up and place it where ever you'd like!  We put ours in our "flower beds" where we plant our edibles, but these work great on patios, balconies, and anywhere you want to make feel more alive.  This was my first one and it was really very easy!  If I could do it over, I might have had a fourth row of flowers.  Also, my goal for the next ones would be to have them be all purposeful plants for eating or that have medicinal value.  Overall, a fun and easy project!  Great for kids too that like to get their hands dirty! 
Happy Planting!



0 comments:

Are You Following Yet?

IDSC for Life
Follow Me on Pinterest