Join in the Fun

Grab My Button

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
God has blessed me tremendously with an amazing husband, Doug, and two gorgeous little boys, Gavin and Joey. It has always been a dream of mine to have a large family but God may have other plans. I had a series of 6 consecutive early miscarriages when trying for baby #2. We are currently trying for baby #3 after our 7th miscarriage. I am faithful that God's plan is perfect, even when I am not happy about it. I love comments and meeting new followers so please don't be shy!

Like This Blog?

We Salute You!

Photobucket

Stirrup Queen's List of Blogs .

Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, December 17, 2011

Apple Pie- Delicious and Perfect for Beginners!

This morning as I was finally decorating my tree, I decided I had better look at my list of While I Wait activities and be thinking about what I was going to write.  Then I saw... Bake something.  So ironic that I needed to bake a pie for our family Christmas Party tomorrow!  My new favorite thing to bake is this amazingly delicious and super easy apple pie! I was a little intimidated when I made it for the first time for Thanksgiving since I have never in my life made a pie before.  To my surprise, I got raving reviews and it was even compared to my most wonderful Grandmother's apple pies!  So even if you are a novice, this pie is really easy to follow and will yield amazing results!

The first time I made this I doubled the recipe and it was very easy.  Just be sure that your bowls are big enough and you will have no problem making two pies! 


All American Apple Pie
Above is a link to the original recipe.  This one has some of my own tips and observations.  

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons cold milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 6 Fuji apples, cored and sliced*
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/2 cup butter
* I use an apple peeler which also spiral slices the apple.  This is fantastic for ensuring that your slices are of uniform thickness for even and consistent baking.  

    Directions

    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. To Make Crust: In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups flour, oil, milk, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar and salt until evenly blended. Press mixture into a 9 inch pie pan, spreading the dough evenly over the bottom and up sides. Crimp edges of the dough around the perimeter.
    3. To Make Filling: Mix together 3/4 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Sprinkle over apples and toss to coat. Spread evenly in unbaked pie shell.
    4. To Make Topping: Using a pastry cutter, mix together 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar and butter in a large bowl until evenly distributed and crumbly in texture. Sprinkle over apples.  A bigger bowl makes it easier to work.  I learned this the hard way!  Also, a pastry cutter isn't mandatory but will make it 200 times easier!
    5. Put pie in the oven on a cookie sheet to catch the juices that may spill over. Bake 45 minutes or until a toothpick pushed into an apple gives little resistance indicating the apples are cooked through.  
    These pies are so good!  I couldn't wait until it was cooled to have some! 

    Have you baked anything that you would like to share for people looking for inspiration for their "While I Wait" post? Link up your post below! I can't wait to see all of the scrumptious things you all have made!

    0 comments:

    Are You Following Yet?

    IDSC for Life
    Follow Me on Pinterest