Join in the Fun

Grab My Button

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
God has blessed me tremendously with an amazing husband, Doug, and two gorgeous little boys, Gavin and Joey. It has always been a dream of mine to have a large family but God may have other plans. I had a series of 6 consecutive early miscarriages when trying for baby #2. We are currently trying for baby #3 after our 7th miscarriage. I am faithful that God's plan is perfect, even when I am not happy about it. I love comments and meeting new followers so please don't be shy!

Like This Blog?

We Salute You!

Photobucket

Stirrup Queen's List of Blogs .

Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, August 20, 2011

Gladrags: Review and Giveaway

 
Until about 2 years ago I didn't think that anyone really used cloth diapers on babies. If they did, I wouldn't have any idea where to get them. As it turns out, tons of people use cloth every day! I became one of them. I use cloth diapers part time with Joey and love that I am never without a diaper. I never run out. I never have any emergency runs to the store to buy any. Then, it dawned on me. Why would I let my baby make a mess on cloth, wash it, reuse it and love it and not do the same for myself.

Each month that I am not pregnant, I find myself spending another 10 dollars on various feminine pads or tampons. I didn't have to be a genius to do the math that I was spending 120 dollars a year on more smelly garbage. Not only does that garbage smell, I am helping to fill up a landfill with gross trash. Plus, who really knows how many different chemicals they use to enhance the absorbency, deodorize, and wick away the moisture. And we are putting those chemicals right up against our skin or, in the case of tampons... well, you know where those go! Don't we want to be a little more cautious when it comes to our future children's first home and their likely exit plan? 


I was thrilled to be able to try Gladrags reusable pads! I was sent a box of three pads that each come with two inserts. The first thing that I noticed was how soft the all organic cotton pad was. I read the instructions thinking that my period would be starting at anytime and I should probably "prep" them. All I needed to do was wash them (only once) before the initial use. I was totally expecting to have to wash them 3 or more times like I had to do with the new cloth diapers for Joey.  On day one of my cycle I put two inserts into the GladRag, snapped it around my underwear and off I went with my day.  I intentionally did things that I thought would be a bit more challenging like playing on the floor with Joey, sitting "Indian style", and stepping over the baby gate. 

I did need to do a little bit of adjusting to make sure it was positioned well and not slipping to one side or the other, but I am sure that with a bit more practice this wouldn't be an ongoing concern.  It does feel different than my usual extra thin disposable pads but not different in a bad way.  I actually don't miss feeling that plastic-y feeling right next to my skin.  After a few hours, I changed the pad.  I was happy to see that I had not soaked through even the first insert.  So, for the next one, I only used one insert.  It was much more comfortable with just one.  I washed the used pad immediately in cold water and there was only minimal staining.  For me, I think that I might need to try their overnight size pads for my heavier days. While I really like the concept, comfort and chemical free approach, I think I need a bit more length to the pad. 

  Used and washed! Can you tell? 
Not sure you are ready to commit?  I also think that GladRags will be ideal for the days when you are expecting your period to show up at any time but don't want to walk around in a pad for a day or two awaiting her arrival.  I also think that those of us who have spotting or really light days that seem wasteful to use a whole pad for a spot or two, GladRags will be perfect!   I also think that they would be an excellent accessory for those of you who are pregnant or plan to be.  I know that in my pregnancies I had a couple of things going on that I would have loved to have a comfortable cloth pad for.  The first is the increase in vaginal discharges.  Many women have a hard time with vaginal infections in pregnancy because if the increase in moisture.  An all cotton cloth pad would do a great job in keeping things dry and less prone to infections!  The second issue is a bit more embarrassing.  At the end of my pregnancy with both boys, even more so with Joey, I had a bit of... well.. a tinkle problem.  If I sneezed or coughed I would pee just a little.  So embarrassing!! Even for a few months after Joey was born I had the same problem until I managed to strengthen my muscles again.  I wish I would have had GladRags as a back-up plan!  I went through so many really unused disposable pads in those months just trying to avoid an awkward situation.

Give GladRags a try too!  Be sure to enter the giveaway below and win a box of 3 daytime pads (each with 2 liners) a $44.49 value!!!  
 


Also, The Natural Fertility Shop has pages and pages of items that you might be interested in including vitamins, herbs, books and more!  Be sure to stop in and browse around! 



 


0 comments:

Are You Following Yet?

IDSC for Life
Follow Me on Pinterest