Join in the Fun

Grab My Button

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
God has blessed me tremendously with an amazing husband, Doug, and two gorgeous little boys, Gavin and Joey. It has always been a dream of mine to have a large family but God may have other plans. I had a series of 6 consecutive early miscarriages when trying for baby #2. We are currently trying for baby #3 after our 7th miscarriage. I am faithful that God's plan is perfect, even when I am not happy about it. I love comments and meeting new followers so please don't be shy!

Like This Blog?

We Salute You!

Photobucket

Stirrup Queen's List of Blogs .

Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, January 23, 2011

Traditions Make Memories

Since my mother holds the title of Chef and Hostess Extraordinaire we don't try to compete when it comes to hosting for the holidays. We do want to make sure that we contribute to the festivities and decided that we would have my parents, my brother and my sister in-law over for a light lunch on Christmas day before the Christmas dinner extravaganza that my mother would put on. We agreed that on the menu would be veggies with a low-fat version of spinach dip (substituting Greek yogurt for the sour cream and using 1/3 fat cream cheese), fresh fruit with a low fat fruit dip, and turkey and garlic hummus on our very own fresh baked bread.
On Christmas Eve we ground the 3 1/2 cups of wheat flour that we needed for our bread. We went to church that evening, had dinner with my parents and returned home. We tucked the boys in their beds and got to work on our bread. We ensured that we had everything that we needed and thank goodness we did since otherwise we would have been having bread-less sandwiches. Not to mention, that would be a whole other tradition that I don't think we wanted to start.
I worked at the stove mixing the wet ingredients to 120 degrees while Doug worked at the table mixing the divided dry ingredients.


We then mixed them together to form the start of the dough.
While the recipe called for a mixer we used a very special mixer that we call "Doug" on medium for a few minutes. And then added the remaining flour and kneaded the dough until it became smooth and elastic.

Then we made the dough into the shape of a ball and placed it in a greased bowl and left it to rise for about an hour.
While we had been prepared for a very long night I am not sure that we realized exactly how long it was going to be. As a result, while we continued to follow the recipe and formed the dough into two loves and let it rise again, somehow we forgot to take any pictures. But after baking the loves for about 45 minutes this is what the results were.




The bread turned out quite tasty. It was a bit on the dense side but worked very well as tea sandwiches. Overall, I think our Christmas lunch was a success and created fond memories of our first bread baking Christmas.




0 comments:

Are You Following Yet?

IDSC for Life
Follow Me on Pinterest