Join in the Fun

Grab My Button

Popular Posts

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
God has blessed me tremendously with an amazing husband, Doug, and two gorgeous little boys, Gavin and Joey. It has always been a dream of mine to have a large family but God may have other plans. I had a series of 6 consecutive early miscarriages when trying for baby #2. We are currently trying for baby #3 after our 7th miscarriage. I am faithful that God's plan is perfect, even when I am not happy about it. I love comments and meeting new followers so please don't be shy!

Like This Blog?

We Salute You!

Photobucket

Stirrup Queen's List of Blogs .

Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Family Friendly Charity



I like to help people whenever I can.  If there is a booth asking for donations I can usually be found checking my purse for any loose bills.  One thing that pains me, though, is when I see a homeless person with a sign.  The sign might be simple and ask for money, work, or food.  Some signs plead for the sake for their children and remind us that every little bit counts.  It breaks my heart every time.  But, then I get angry.  I get frustrated that I can't tell if they are lying.  I can't tell if they really are trying to feed their newborn baby or of they are just trying to get their next hit of heroin while a baby that may or may not exist, lays hungry and in need of warmth.

I want to help them all, but every time I hand money out of my window from my car, I can't help but worry that I might be helping that person feed their addiction.  I picture their families, their children, their parents, laying awake at night worried about if they are alive or dead.  I look into their eyes and quickly try to assess how quickly my money will turn into a drug pulsing through their veins.  But what if I am wrong?  What if that person is really just trying to feed and diaper a baby.  What if they really are hungry?  What if their sign is real? Will I turn away or will I help?

This year, I have decided I will help in the best way I know how.  I have put together small packages of soup, juice, chips, granola bars, and Chapstick.  I will keep them in my vehicle so that whenever I feel called to help someone, I have something to offer. I think Gavin and Joey will enjoy participating in helping others and it will teach them a lot about being thankful for the blessings God has given us.  I look forward to making this a tradition every fall when the weather turns colder.  Maybe next year they boys can help decide what goes in the bags!  

What do you do to help others?  Do you involve your kids?

If you do something please share what it is that you do in a comment below.  If you have a blog, post about what you do and come back to share the link! Then if someone wants to start a charitable tradition but is having trouble coming up with something, they can find some wonderful ideas.



0 comments:

Are You Following Yet?

IDSC for Life
Follow Me on Pinterest